Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Illegal Immigrants and strudent loans

Deivid Ribeiro, 21, a part-time student at UMass Dartmouth, wants to attend college full time but is unable to obtain loans because he is not a U.S. citizen. Ribeiro is an organizer for the Student Immigrant Movement, an organization promoting equal access to higher education for immigrants.

  Congratulations to this young man on his hard work and all of  his achievements. In his quest for a higher education, someone should have pointed out that it would be a good idea to become an American citizen to partake of all that this county offers.  Does this young man also partake of the Health Care for All that some are paying for. After all of the education Deivid has received, I hope he now knows what 'undocumented' means. By no way do I want to sound 'mean spirited' the point is this country is in debt and we have to start somewhere to rethink the entitlements and government programs we just throw money at.


"I knew that I was undocumented ... but I didn't know what that meant," said Araugo, who applied to colleges anyway "as a way to prove it to myself." But it was obvious she could not afford college without a loan or the lower, in-state tuition.
And something else was obvious: The debate over immigration was often angry, especially, Araugo discovered, online, where she went to provide positive comments.
"At first I would read stuff and sometimes I would just cry," she said. "They hated me. A lot of people hated me because I was undocumented."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

all comments will be signed to be published