Thursday, September 9, 2010

9/11 Widow View on Mosque at Ground Zero

  Till now,  I have not commented about how I feel about the construction of the Mosque at Ground Zero.  I had mixed emotions until I saw the interview on Larry King last night and the statement of the guest that if we do not allow the Mosque to be built, no good will come of it from the Muslim community. What? I did believe at one time that this whole project was, as usual, just about money......Now?  Freedom is not free and please do not threaten me.....

Let us look at one view from a widow of 9/11 who speaks from Salon

What did I think about the decision to construct a "mosque" this close to ground zero? I thought it was a no-brainer. Of course it should be built there. I sometimes wonder if those people fighting so passionately against Park51 can fathom the diversity of those who died at ground zero. Do we think no Muslims died in the towers? My husband, Eddie Torres, killed on his second day of work at Cantor Fitzgerald while I was pregnant with our first child, was a dark-skinned Latino, often mistaken for Pakistani, who came here illegally from Colombia. How did "9/11 victim" become sloppy shorthand for "white Christian"? I wish someone would put out a list of all the ethnicities and religions and countries and economic levels of the victims. For all the talk of "remembering 9/11," I wonder if we've missed the patriotic message entirely. So, in short: No, I did not think it was "a bad idea."


God bless this lady and I wonder if her views have changed at all.  For the record, though a swell name, I am not a fan of the Patriot's Act.

No comments:

Post a Comment

all comments will be signed to be published