Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Immigration Reform

Boston City council passed a resolution not to do business with Arizona so, for some reason, other politicians thought to do the same might help them politically. 

WORCESTER —  The City Council last night used a parliamentary procedure to stop in its tracks a move for it to go on record in opposition to the controversial new immigration law in Arizona.
By a 7-4 vote, the council overturned Mayor Joseph C. O'Brien's ruling that discussion of the Arizona law was germane to city business.
That ruling was challenged by District 3 Councilor Paul P. Clancy Jr., who argued the immigration issue did not fall under the council's jurisdiction, according to its rules.
Rule 33 prohibits any petition or resolution from being taken up by the council, if the subject matter does not fall under the purview of city government.

Governor Patrick, unpopular that he is also had an opinion that this would never happen in Massachusetts.
“Let me be clear: As long as I have anything to say about it, there’s not going to be an Arizona law in Massachusetts,’’ he said. “I can’t see such a thing passing our Legislature. But if it did, I would veto it.’’

Pelosi, who is Catholic, told the group of sisters, priests and activists that the church will play an important in shaping the future political landscape.
"The cardinals, the archbishops, the bishops that come to me … say, ‘We want you to pass immigration reform,’ and I said, I want you to speak about it from the pulpit," Pelosi told the audience.

   I too want immigration reform. I want the law enforced that if you are here illegally, you are committing a crime and you should be sent home. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

all comments will be signed to be published